Peace Begins at Home is a project that is addressing the concerns of Manchester’s African immigrant families in a way that is culturally relevant and generates healthy conversation and community support. This project is designed and led by two women leaders and advocates of Manchester’s African immigrant communities.
The goals of Peace Begins at Home:
- Enhance immigrant families’ understanding of stress, especially stress caused by moving to a new country with different culture, language, law, etc.
- Increase families’ and individuals’ ability to identify the sources of their stress and communicate that stress
- Improve communications within and among families
- Improve families’ and individuals’ confidence in seeking assistance
- Connect families with trained and trusted ethnic community leaders
- Increase families’ understanding of and access to the various resources that are available